Tips for Safe Driving
The amount of automobile accidents that the state of Massachusetts sees is a severe problem. Most times, these accidents can result in injuries, property damage and can cost, those involved, thousands of dollars. For Massachusetts drivers, we have some safety tips to avoid automobile accidents.
- Ensure that your car is up to date on any scheduled car maintenance it may need. This includes checking your tires for wear, oil changes, replacing windshield wiper blades and any other maintenance your car might need. If you’re unsure if your car is in need of any maintenance, take it to an auto shop and have a professional take a look.
- Make sure that your car is prepared to handle certain weather related situations. If it is raining hard, are your windshield wiper blades in working condition to keep the windshield clear? In the show, does your car have snow tires or four-wheel drive? If you live in an area where the temperatures can reach over 100 degrees, will your car overheat from lack of coolant?
- Driving with any distractions is a good way to increase your chances of being involved in a car accident. A lot of drivers believe that things like talking on the phone or eating are harmless as they are operating their car. Anything that includes taking your eyes, mind or hands off of the road is considered a distraction. Below are some behaviors you should avoid while driving:
- Using a mobile device
- Talking on the phone
- Eating or drinking
- Looking out the window for a long period of time
- Tending to pets or children
- To avoid car accidents, be a defensive driver. If the driver in front of you is driving too slowly, do not tailgate them. Instead, move to the lane next to you and pass them. If you find that you are being tailgated, don’t be adamant about keeping your spot. Being a defensive driver also means keeping an eye on what other drivers are doing.
- One of the most dangerous ways you can drive is if you are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. This can affect your capability of recognizing any hazards and responding to them. If you are impaired by alcohol or drugs, call someone to drive you rather than putting yourself and others in danger.
If you have been involved in a car accident, contact the Law Office of Stephen M. Forlizzi today. Attorney Forlizzi has years of experience representing car accident victims. Contact us today at 978-739-4898 or by filling out our contact form for a free consultation.